Saturday, August 11, 2007

The Case of the Unknown Gym Member


While I was in Mongolia I was very security conscious, we were all warned about making sure we kept our belongings close to us and not leaving anything valuable in our pockets etc etc. I caught myself in Eastgardens last week making sure my bag was close by and really safe (a good thing to do I know but generally there aren't so many bag thieves in Australia).

But sometimes no matter what you do your things will stolen!

Yesterday afternoon I went to the gym a bit earlier than usual so that I could get a lift home with Stu. I got changed and locked my bag in my locker, after my workout (I ran on the treadmill which is very exciting as I was a bit scared of running on a fast moving machine) I went back to the locker to get my bag. The locker was open, which was a bit strange but as the lock mechanism was still locked I thought perhaps I'd not closed it properly. Then I realised that my bag was not in the same position I'd left it in, I had a minor panic and checked to see if anything was missing.

Thank God my laptop, pda and phone were still in my bag, my purse however was not. I went to reception and told them what had happened, all the Fernwood girls were very shocked! They phoned security and the police, and I phoned Stu who was waiting for me outside.

It turns out that a women had signed in with someone else's membership card and broke into at least 2 lockers (another girl's purse was stolen as well). She ran out of the gym but no one really thought much of it at the time.

While I was waiting for the police to arrive I rang to cancel my credit card and discovered that the unknown woman had used it! I also went to check the time and remembered I wasn't wearing my watch but had in fact put it in the locker and it was also missing.

It's kind of ironic that I travelled through Mongolia and China for 4 weeks and managed not to have anything stolen but when I get home...

No comments:

Post a Comment