Saturday, February 24, 2007

Why I need to learn how to drive and have my own car... Part Two

Read Part 1 first...

So I got up early and head out on the train to Lidcombe, it was rather a pleasant journey and not too long but then... After getting off the train I discovered that regular streets don't really look like the streets on whereis.com, it looked like I would have to walk down a long stretch of busy road beside the graveyard with no footpath to be seen anywhere. I phoned Stuart who looked at a map and confirmed that I was heading in the right direction.

Half an hour later, hot and sweaty and still recovering from a nervous dash across the busy road without the aid of a pedestrian crossing I arrived at the repair place. I handed my laptop over and was told it would be ready to pick up in 3-5days (nb. the words "pick up" are very important to the rest of the story).

Just in case I asked Mr Acer-repair-man if Lidcombe was in fact the closest train station, to my dismay it turned out it was not, Flemington was much closer... It was also a much nicer walk, there were footpaths and pedestrian crossings and everything!

6 days later, I phoned to find out if my laptop was ready yet, it had been 3-5days and I had heard nothing. The lady on the other end of the phone assured me "yes, it had been finished yesterday" "so," I said, "I can go and pick it up?" again I was assured, yes.

The next day I once again began a trek to the Acer repair place, this time getting off at Flemington station and walking . It was I knew going to ake 2-3hours out of my day and although I had many things to do before staff retreat the next day it would be worth it to have my laptop back.

The nice man behind the desk looked up my laptop on his computer "oh", he said, "it was couriered on Monday" he didn't seem like such a nice man after that. After more investigation it turned out it had not infact been couriered on Monday (3days ago) but in fact had left the warehouse just 20mins before I arrived. It would be delivered to my work sometime between 3-5pm.

I headed back to the train station feeling more than a little bit grumpy...

At the office I waited... 2pm...3pm...4pm... At 5.05pm I phoned Acer, who could phone the courier company but they would be closed right now, I could try and call them if I wanted. I did want so I got the necessary numbers and phoned. Someone answered the phone so I assume they were open... It turns out my computer was stil in the couriers warehouse, there was something wrong with the package and they would send it back to Acer in the morning! I asked if instead it could be sent to me, she said she'd try so I gave her my details and hoped for the best.

It did indeed arrive the next day and now the whole drama doesn't seem like such a big deal after all...

No comments:

Post a Comment