Saturday, June 16, 2007

My relationship with cooking

Most of you who know me have probably heard me say more than once that "I'm not good at cooking and I don't like it." Which, for the most part is true, however, every now and then I have a cooking splurge where I spend hours reading recipies and preparing food.

My most successful so far have been:

Christmas Puddings
Pumpkin Scones
Dahl

and hopefully pumpkin & ricotta conchiole and my favourite Greek dish pastitio (both are pasta bake dishes which I prepared tonight to cook tomorrow for lunch with my siblings).

The crazy thing is, I don't actually like pumpkin and it features in two of these dishes!

It took four hours tonight to cook pasta, pumpkin, mince etc and assemble it ready to cook tomorrow, hopefully the time & effort were worth it.

3 comments:

  1. the christmas puddings rocked my world, it was the start of an obsession!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah me and family really enjoyed the Christmas pudding you made... yum.. how can you not like pumkin?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:22 pm

    Bec,
    I was planning to leave a long, insightful comment, articulately expressing my thoughts on the art of cooking, eating, and various related past-times...

    But it didn't happen.

    Instead, let me say that I understand...I too struggle with cooking: My gelato has bits of cherry seed in it; I warmed up a pizza, and somehow managed to turn it dry and bland; and then, of course, there is the story of The Cheesecake. But that story's for another time.

    So keep at it, because you're probably better at it than I am, and because probability says that you'll make something great every so often.*

    And besides - it's worth the occasional disaster to get that feeling of achievment when something you make turns out perfect. :)

    dk



    * assuming a standard binomial distribution, terms and conditions apply

    ReplyDelete