Saturday, October 20, 2007

Stereotypes


Generally, I think of stereotypes as being bad, often just an inaccurate way of putting some one or ones into a box. However, there are times when it's very easy to see why stereotypes exist.

For example, when the members of my extended "Greek" family get together, it can sometimes feels as though I've been transported onto the set of "My Big Fat Greek Wedding".

Last night, I went with my sister to one of her Nutrimetics spa's, it was on at 9pm at a place and with people she didn't know and so I was her moral support. We arrived at a massive house (that looked more like an apartment block), complete with fountain and a security doorbell at the front gate.

And then we embarked on the most stereotypical adventure of my life! The room was full of middle-aged Indian ladies talking about their daughters, husbands and food. It was like a scene from a Gurinda Chadha movie!

Belinda was a bit overwhelmed and I guess it wasn't the best Nutrimetics spa she'd ever done - but it was fun to watch. It made me think about why stereotypes exist and realise that they aren't always a bad thing. I guess it's when we refuse to see the individual and his/her own personality because we're to busy putting them into our own little stereotypical box that stereotypes become less than helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment