Friday, October 15, 2010

Fish - Day One

I set up the tank a few days ago, I was a bit worried that there wouldn't be enough time for the water to mature or cycle properly before I had to out the fish in. So, in order to help the whole process get started I bought some used gravel from the pet shop, the gravel should already be home to some of the bacteria needed to get biological filtration happening and give the tank a head start. I also bought a carbon sponge and added that to the regular sponge in the filter, the carbon should help to neutralise any toxic chemicals, a job the biological filter will do once it matures.

Above is the tank with no fish, the plant in the middle is a new addition today, it came from the same tank as my new fishies.

I think there are now 22 fish in the tank, most of them are guppies, 2 are really cool catfish (I need to do a bit of research to find out what types) and there are a few others I'm not sure of. Stay tuned for updates as I work out what they are.

Here are the fish in their bags waiting to be released. I let the bags float in the water for a while so they got used to the new temperature, then I put some of the water from the tank into the bags so the fish have a chance to get used to the new water.

Now they are all in their new home and hopefully happy. I don't have a photo of them as it's too dark to take one but I will upload one soon,

No comments:

Post a Comment